Date:      Fri, 19 Aug 2016 14:06:20 +0300
From:      Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: ahci timeout during boot on a particular mobo

On 19.08.16 11:30, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> So, what's suspicious here is that we discover two AHCI channels on the JMicron
> device and we seem to discover some sort of a device on one of them.  But the
> communication with that (phantom?) device times out and that causes a very long
> delay during the boot.

This fake device is the most interesting part.  Marvell AHCI RAID chips
in such way expose RAID management device, but I doubt that JMicron is
so advanced, at least it seems like not implemented properly enough.

> Is there a way to fix the boot delay?
>
> Searched for JMB361 in the source code, looked at some nearby device entries,
> and - is it as simple as adding AHCI_Q_1CH quick for this device?

AHCI_Q_1CH quirk was added for early Marvell chips that were ever
dirtier mix of legacy ATA and AHCI, that reported total number of ports
instead of expected AHCI ones.  May be JMB361 is also like that, but I
never had those check.  JMB362 I have does not have this problem,
reporting two real SATA ports, even though it has one legacy PATA port
also.  I don't have strong objections against this quirk.  I am not sure
whether it is right solution, but suppose that in couple years nobody
will bother about that hardware at all.

--
Alexander Motin