Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 1997 08:33:09 -0500
From:      Jason Craig <freebsd@pipe-piling.com>
To:        garman@phs.k12.ar.us
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation problems

Hello Jason,

Thanks for responding.  I am pretty new at running FreeBSD, and had a few
problems.

>> I have tried an Intel EtherExpress card, and a Magitronic NE2000 compatible
>> card in this machine, but neither seem to work.  I have tried various IRQ's
>> and IO addresses (200h & IRQ5) and (300h & IRQ10).  In the dmesg, i see the
>> kernel makes reference to the ex? driver, but when I try to logon to
>> another machine on the network via FTP to retrieve the installation files,
>> it just sits there and never connects.
>>
>Have you tried forcing the kernel to detect your card at the specific irq
>and port you have set it to?  Later FreeBSD releases (2.1.6 on) ask you if
>you want to do this when the floppy boots. (The visual config)

Well, I don't know how or why it happened, but I guess my Magitronic NE2000
wasn't completely NE2000 compatible.  It just refused to work.  I was
surprised to find a card (the Intel EtherExpress) which is directly
supported by the OS wouldn't work.  So I moved it to a DOS based machine,
and ran some tests.  It appears it was defective.  So I exchanged it, and
now my BSD box is on the network.

>there are no sio? messages on the bootup messages?  Try the same thing
>here i guess, but those irq/port #'s should be standard (hah)

As for the modem...  Right.  I have sio0 and sio1 as the ports on the
computer itself.  When the computer boots it only detects sio0 & 1.  Even
though I have sio2 (the internal modem) enabled, it returns that it cannot
find it.  While sio3 is disabled and not probed which is correct.

I have moved a few things around in the system just on the weekend, and I
am going to try other IRQ's and do another custom kernel again.  Maybe
things will go better this time.

Thanks again,

Jason

 Jason Craig