Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2006 10:12:05 -0400
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Andrew Reilly <andrew-freebsd@areilly.bpc-users.org>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/104311: ports/wine should be installable on amd64

In <20061012065829.GA49071@duncan.reilly.home>, Andrew Reilly <andrew-freebsd@areilly.bpc-users.org> typed:
> >  Wine64 (the 64bit version of wine) will not build on FreeBSD/amd64 due
> >  to it needs someone to write the code to save/restore the cpu
> >  registers.  Wine64 will only run 64bit windows applications, you won't
> >  be able to run 32bit windows applications on wine64.
> Not very interesting, then :-)

The official wine wiki page on Wine64 starts by saying "This port is
not yet functional", and gives a long list of problems. That would
make it seem that answer to the OP's question might be "It won't get
here until the wine people finish the port."

> >  If wine is important to you, then you have 3 choices:
> >
> >  1. submit patches to create the lib32-* library ports and the
> >  necessary patches to Mk/bsd.ports.mk and emulators/wine to allow it to
> >  build on the amd64 architecture.
> >
> >  2. Set your system to dual boot FreeBSD/amd64 and FreeBSD/i386.
> >
> >  3. Reinstall your system with FreeBSD/i386 only.
>
> 4. Set up a FreeBSD/i386 build environment inside a qemu (or
> similar) virtual session.
>
> 5. Build it and make a package on another (i386) pc.

The package has to include the dependency libs down to the system
level - and instructions on how to install 32-bit versions of the
system library.

> 6.(?) There seems to have been some discussion about doing
> Linux-i386 builds within the linuxulator.  Emulating windows on
> a linux emulation isn't such a stretch :-)

Since both Wine and the linuxolartor are compatability layers rather
than emulators, this shouldn't be to bad. In particular, you should be
able to install the binaries.

> [Personally, I think that option 1 going to be very useful and
> quite widely applicable, and therefore bound to happen sooner or
> later.  The win32 binary video codec afficianados will probably
> get there first...]

Yeah, I ran into that with the Perforce port. It needed a 32-bit
library, and when trying to install the port it built the 64-bit
version, then croaked because it was already installed.

Fixing the base system compiler so that '-m32' works properly would be
nice as well, and may get done as part of this.

	<mike