Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 2003 11:01:35 -0800
From:      "Goodleaf, John M" <jgoodlea@fhcrc.org>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Way OT: SSH+VNC as quickndirty VPN

Here's the scenario:
I have a Windows machine at work. I have a VNC server on it. It is behind a
firewall over which I have no control, so I cannot make a direct connection
to this machine from outside. What I'd like to do is to initiate a SSH
connection (with compression) to my BSD machine at home (which I can do) and
forward the VNC server connection through that SSH tunnel. I'd like to then
lock my workstation and office, go home, and use vncviewer to have access to
my workstation at work. That way I can do work at odd hours and while
watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Is this possible? I have tried a few combinations of port forwarding, but
for whatever reason, find it unintuitive. Can't quite get it to work. Any
suggestions much appreciated.

-John