Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 1998 00:06:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Alan Kott <dakott@alpha.delta.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Q] Getty, Qume 101 ser. terms. and gettytab (fwd)

Greetings,

I have been, for a few days now, attempting to get a Qume QVT-101 serial
dumb terminal to work over one of my serial ports on my 2.2.5 stable
system with only limited success.

%dmesg | grep sio2
sio2 at 0x3e8-0x3ef irq 5 on isa
sio2: type 16450
%uname -rsv
FreeBSD 2.2.5-STABLE FreeBSD 2.2.5-STABLE #0: Sat Jan 3 01:07:09 EST 1998

I have successfully gotten Getty to start a login session.  However, I
seem to be having difficulty keeping my serial port parameters kosher.
I don't want control characters to echo in the form `^X`.  This,
naturally, devistates full screen based programs, editors.. and the like.
I have the serial port lock and initialization device parameters set to
`-echoctl`.
For instance, here is a snip from stty's output BEFORE getty and login
muck around with things:

%stty -a -f /dev/cuaa2
speed 19200 baud; 0 rows; 0 columns;
lflags: icanon isig iexten echo echoe -echok echoke -echonl -echoctl

%stty -a -f /dev/cuala2
speed 19200 baud; 0 rows; 0 columns;
lflags: icanon isig iexten echo echoe -echok echoke -echonl -echoctl

%stty -a -f /dev/cuaia2
speed 19200 baud; 0 rows; 0 columns;
lflags: icanon isig iexten echo echoe -echok echoke -echonl -echoctl

Noting in all cases that echoctl is inhibited.  Now, my ttys entry:

cuaa2   "/usr/libexec/getty std.19200.qvt101"   q101    on unsecure

annnnnnd my gettytab entry:

std.19200.qvt101|19200-baud:\
       :np:sp#19200:xc:

I was hoping that the "xc" boolean would inhibit this unwanted control
character echoing as described in the gettytab man page:

xc        bool              false      do NOT echo control chars as `^X'

I setup the QVT-101 terminal, as described in a note in the termcap database
to emulate a "QVT-101B" terminal.
However, as soon as I login echoctl is set, and control characters are
echoed in the form `^X`, and the stty dump looks like this

%stty -a -f /dev/cuaa2
speed 19200 baud; 0 rows; 0 columns;
lflags: icanon isig iexten echo echoe -echok echoke -echonl echoctl

Noting NOW that echoctl is set, and indeed, control characters are
displayed in this most unwieldy fashion.  Anyone have some words of wisdom
for me?  Thank you, in advance, for your consideration.

 								-d