Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 08:32:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Ashby Gochenour <freebsd@intelos.net>
To:        "Andrew C. Hornback" <hornback@wireco.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: compaq prolient DL380 SCSI drive question

Hey Andy,
Thanks for your input!
I think you are correct.
In looking at my dmesg, I see that it does see two logical drives.

ida0: drives=2 firm_rev=1.40
idad0: <Compaq Logical Drive> on ida0
idad0: 8670MB (17756160 sectors), blocksize=512
idad1: <Compaq Logical Drive> on ida0
idad1: 17343MB (35520480 sectors), blocksize=512

I rebooted the server a few times and after the integrated smart array
controller initializes, it does see two logical drives. The machine says
press F10 for system partition utilities. When I press F10, it says System
partition utilities are not on this system.

I'm a little confused about what type of hardware RAID it is doing now and
what I should have it do. This is going to be an email server, FTP server,
and may do some NFS.

Do you have a suggestion for what type of RAID and partition setup would
be best. I am new to RAID and don't fully understand the concept of the
the different setups and what I can do with them.

Any advice much appriciated!

Thank you,

Ashby Gochenour
Unix Administration