Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 11:54:13 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How Is The FeeBSD OS Like and Different Than Say Redhat or Suse LINUX

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 05:15:38AM -0400, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> Mike Meyer writes:
> > This does bring up a question - how many Linux package distribution
> > systems let you change the installation point if you want to?
>
> How many do not? Slackware maybe?
>
> The package has to be created properly to be relocatable. The author
> of the control file should use relative paths or paths with variables
> in them, as appropriate for the packaging system. I seem to recall
> that the RPM format even has a flag to indicate if this has been done.

A great deal of dpkg and rpm packages will not allow you to relocate
them. Common examples are gnome-libs, kde-libs, and other stuff that you
probably want moved more than anything. Of course, since all of gnome
depends on the libraries, that also means you can't move any of the
gnome packages. A classic example of how linux is simpler and more
intelligent than FreeBSD... until you want to customize things.

Slackware is the only system that gives you FULL control over where
packages are kept (at least in the old days). Since slackware packages
are simply tarballs, you can extract them anywhere you like.
--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx