Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 13:14:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mark Kent <mark@noc.mainstreet.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (long) multiple queries about 4.0 on Sony 505HS

Thanks for the rapid reply.

==>    But, when I use "options PNPBIOS" the USB part of the boot
==>    process says to turn it off.
==
==Er, it does?  PNPBIOS is totally unrelated to USB.

Here it is:

 /kernel: uhci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> port 0xfc60-0xfc7f at device 7.2 on pci0
 /kernel: uhci0: Invalid irq 255
 /kernel: uhci0: Please switch on USB support and switch PNP-OS to 'No' in BIOS
 /kernel: device_probe_and_attach: uhci0 attach returned 6

==> Your BIOS has, however, very kindly set it up in the extra-lame
==> soundblaster emulation mode.  You could try going to /dev and saying
==>
==>  ./MAKEDEV snd1
==>
==> and see if this helps

Not clear that it does.    I set/get this:

Mixer vol      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer synth    is currently set to  75:75
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer line     is currently set to  75:75
Mixer mic      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer cd       is currently set to  75:75

so I'm guessing that I should be hearing something.

I'll continue experimenting...

Thanks,
-mark