Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 1997 13:37:21 -0500
From:      Wm Brian McCane <root@bmccane.uit.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP problems

Greetings,

	Sorry for the crosspost, but I thought I might not get hold of the
right person without it.

	I did a make world, and kernel rebuild on Sep 20 using current, and
everything worked just spiffy.  On Sep 26, I replaced my old slow internal
modem with a new fast PNP modem.  This motherboard does not have PNP in the
BIOS so I rebuilt the kernel with pnp installed.  After rebooting, everything
seemed to work ok, but my ps and other `kvm' related programs didn't work.
So, not wanting to look foolish, I did the right thing, I did a `make world',
and another kernel build and rebooted.  Once again everything worked, until I
went to eat dinner....

	Okay, here's what I am seeing:

	I use kernel PPP for a full time connection to the InterNet
	My connection gets dropped every 5 hours by my ISP
		(shouldn't unlimited mean UNLIMITED!)
	Occasionally pppd does not recognize that the connection has
		dropped, and hangs there.
	If I kill -9 pppd, it becomes a Zombie (state in `ps' is SEs)
	I tried to change to iij-ppp, and it will not reconnect after it
		is disconnected (It doesn't recognize the disconnect).
	If I kill iij-ppp and restart it by hand, it is screwed up and
		still will not talk.
	If I run iij-ppp first, then kill it when the connection dies, I
		can connect with pppd (once).
	The only way to reconnect after that is to reboot.
	I tried my old modem, it has the same behaviour so it is not
		an incompatibility issue as I see it.

	When the PPP is screwed up, there is a noticable slow down of the
		system.  But systat shows 90-95% idle.
	Logging in from another PC feels like I am doing telnet over a
		9600 baud dialin line (I've done this, it sucks).

	My console is dead.  It goes through the "Local package
		initialization", and then no more output goes to the screen.
	If I login blind, it succeeds, I verified this from a rlogin.

	help!!!

	brian

BTW> I have already written a script to check out all the code as it was on
	09/20/97, and will probably do this unless someone has some helpful
	suggestions.