Date:      Thu, 03 May 2001 13:02:09 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        jessemonroy@email.com, jessem@livecam.com
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [jkh@osd.bsdi.com: ANNOUNCE: Status update on ftp.freebsd.org A     KA ftp.freesoftware.com]

> Funny thing is I already know of this.

Then you have no excuse for such ridiculous chains of innuendo
involving them.  I often have to wonder at what your genuine motives
are.

> Please stop this line.

That's not very good grammar, but I'll take it to mean that you would
like an end to conspiracy theories.  That would be great, and an item
high on my own wish list.

> 1) Word is already out that the domain freesoftware.com has been
> sold. Can you confirm this?

I can confirm that whomever's telling you this is completely
uninformed.  We've never even raised the question of selling it, much
less having sold it, so there must be a new flavor of crack on the
street or someone is going out of their way to start malicious rumors.

> 2) Speculation exists that FreeBSD is only making release to
> generate cash, not because any real changes apply to the software.

Speculation also exists that you may be a space alien yourself and are
intent on taking over this planet by first befuddling the dominant
species so much with your theories that they become unable to defend
themselves.  Such speculation would probably not have much to do with
the truth, however, and it earns you little dignity to even bring up
an accusation this lame.  Anyone who's even remotely capable of
reading release notes or following the commit logs can see that
FreeBSD is making a lot of changes to their software and show no signs
of slowing down.  Conversely, people can also expect that aliens
capable of crossing interstellar space would be smart enough to simply
stomp the planet flat in 10 minutes with advanced weaponry and
wouldn't need you to walk point for the invasion force.  QED.

> 3) Speculation that the machine (aka ftp.freesoftware.com) was
> lost because it never really belonged to FreeBSD.

See above.  The machine is still sitting right where it used to be
(well, last I checked, the crime rate being rather high in New York)
and all it suffers from is a lack of bandwidth, which I've already
explained.

Anyway, I think I've debunked enough insane rumors for one day.  I'm
going to lunch at my favorite chinese restaurant.  I hear the poodle
chow mein they're serving today is especially good!

- Jordan