Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 19:26:22 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: receiving mail directly

On 9 Aug 98, at 23:11, Ludwig Pummer wrote:

> At 03:35 PM 8/10/98 +1200, Dan Langille wrote:
> >On 10 Aug 98, at 9:46, Greg Lehey wrote:
> >
> >> Other have said "fetchmail", which runs on SMTP.  That would be my
> >> preference.
> >
> >Well, first I tried the port.  That failed because I didn't have python.
> > So I tried python.  That failed because I didn't have Tk (whatever that
> >is).
>
> I went through the same thing. The port for fetchmail doesn't list python
> as a dependency (it explains somewhere that python is only for the
> configuration GUI, which isn't essential), but the installation fails if
> you don't have it. I went in and edited the fetchmail Makefiles (and
> copied and gzipped a "missing" manpage file) and got it to install for me,
> simply without the fetchmailconf program.
>
> I didn't want to install Tk because I don't have X running on this machine
> because it's a server of sorts.

I must admit I was confused when I started reading about fetchmailconf and
Tk, both of which require X.  Bummer.  I'll give up on the port now.  At
least it's a "known" problem.

> >So I tried the package.  Well, I've got that, untarred it.  Now what do I
> > do with it?  Where do I find the instructions which tell me what to do?
>
> You don't actually gunzip or untar it. That's handled by the pkg_add
> mechanism.
> pkg_add packagefilename.tar.gz

Yes, I remember that now.  I neglected to follow the instructions.  My
fault.  I'll try the package again.

When installing the package [but without success] I remember looking up
package in the handbook, but found nothing.  Searching for pkg_add works
though.  I found 4.5. What to do when a port does not work.  Perhaps a
section named "Packages" is appropriate?

I've just tried the pkg_add.  And it worked.  <insert cheer here>

But I believe events have overtaken us.  I know think that store-and-
forward may be better for my situation.

--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited