Date:      Sun, 1 Feb 1998 20:42:51 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        knowtree@aloha.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: X, NFS, 3C900 NIC

On Sat, Jan 31, 1998 at 11:56:02PM -1000, Gary Dunn wrote:
> Aloha from Honolulu!
>
> I just got FreeBSD running this past week and have some questions I hope
> some of you with more experience can help me with:
>
> 1. How can I get better video performance with X? The system has a
> Matrox Millennia video board and a decent 17\224 monitor. I have done
> nothing more that run the sysinstall stuff and experiment with various
> settings, and launch X with startx.
>
> 	A. This setup gave sterling results with Windows NT (please, no beer
> can throwing).  With X, at 800x600 and above the center of the screen
> \223vibrates\224 especially side to side. Very high frequency, but slow enough
> to see the wiggle and not just a blur. Usable, but only with apologies.
> At 640x480 the image is rock solid but flickers as though it was
> refreshing at or below 60 Hz.

Check the output of startx or xinit.  What frequencies is it
reporting?  Are you sure you've set X up for the correct hardware?
Why are you using such low resolutions?  What's it like at 1024x768
and 1280x1024?  I'm running a Millenium I board, and it runs fine.

> 	B. The graphical elements are rather crude, reminiscent of Windows 1.0
> and not at all like the beautiful things I had on an HP workstation I
> worked on a few years ago. Would Motif give me what I want?

That depends on what you want.  But there are at least 5 good window
managers available.  I personally prefer fvwm2, which has a vaguely
Motif-like appearance, but you may prefer others.  Unlike mwm, these
window managers are free.  Check the Ports Collection.

> 2. How do I get NFS connectivity from a Windows 4.0 workstation or
> server? What would be cool would be to have my FreeBSD server appear in
> the Network Neighborhood window, perhaps under a sibling branch to
> Microsoft Network and Netware Network, called NFS. I tried a demo of a
> commercial product by Xlink (http://www.xlink.com/) but as yet have not
> got it to work. (It swears my security is not functioning, or that
> pcnfsd is not running.) Their interface was a bit outdated looking, too
> -- more like a Win 3.x app. If anybody has an elegant, cheap way to do
> this please let me know.

I have never heard of NFS working well with Microsoft.  This is a
Microsoft problem, not a FreeBSD problem.  You'll probably be happier
with Samba, which implements the SMB protocol.

> 3. What needs to be working for Netscape to run? Just vanilla X, or do I
> need Motif?

Just vanilla X.

> 4. I could not get a 3com 3C900-COMBO NIC to work. This is a PCI board.
> I changed to an SMC8000 series board, sixteen bit ISA, and it has worked
> flawlessly. I like to believe that the PCI board will be faster.

Not really.  They're both 10 MB/s boards, and the SMC should run with
full speed.  A PCI board will put less of a load on your system,
though.  What was the problem with the 3Com board?

> 5. When I run /stand/sysinstall in muliti-user more the system dies with
> a page fault error, but it runs fine in single user more (that is, after
> executing shutdown). Is this what was intended?

No.  What version of FreeBSD are you running?  Versions earlier than
2.2.5 offered multiple opportunities to shoot yourself in the foot.

Greg