Date:      Sat, 10 Oct 1998 00:44:57 -0700
From:      Tetsuya Watanabe <tetuya@concentric.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   dialup configuration

Hello,

My pc runs FreeBSD 2.2.5.  I am unable to configure the ISP dialout
configuration right.
I followed the information available from
www.freebsd.org/tutorials/ppp/ and from the online handbook,  but no
success so far.
When "dial isp(or whatever shows up at the parameter entry)" after the
console gets ppp prompt,  the console shows the following:

dial OK!
login OK!
ppp on ABC> Packet mode.

However,  I cannot hear any sound off the modem.
Also,  "ifconfig tun0" gives "tun0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST>
mtu 1500".
I changed the parameters in /etc/rc.conf according to the section 15.1.6
of the handbook(<- is this only good for 2.2.7?)

Question:
1) How to fix this problem and force ppp to connect to the modem(sio0).

2) Any program from ports collection necessary?

Thank you.

Tetsuya Watanabe