Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2013 14:32:35 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: AARGH... give me some idea for ad-blockers

On Sun, 6 Jan 2013 19:40:37 -0800, Gary Kline wrote:

> 	itHOught I'd ask the best list which ad-blocking software I should
> 	use.
>
> 	firefox is my std browsers; also use ixquick.

Simply deactivate "Flash". :-)

There are several extensions for Firefox to make the web less
annoying and more usable by removing ads. The most prominent
probably is Adblock Plus; also NoScript is worth having a
look at.

Still simply (temporarily) deactivating "Flash" gets you rid
of most annoying ads, and you're typically left with grey
boxes which is much more acceptable than blaring autoplay
videos, squeaking buttons and other shit crazy people think
to belong to a "modern web experience".

Sadly, some web sites use "Flash" as a replacement for
content, for HTML. This definitely is a signal that the
page doesn't want visitors. Many use it to deliver video
(streaming), which can already be perfectly done using
HTML 5. Some are using it for interactivity features. All
those uses may be justified, even though "Flash" is losing
its importance. So if you deactivate it, you're also safe
against those "backwards designs", where "Flash"-based
advertisement is a main part of the delivered "content".

Today I don't need to deal with this question anymore. I've
been using a "two browsers approach": Firefox with "Flash"
installed, everything works as intended, and Opera as my
main browser, with "Flash" deactivated, and quite picky
about what sites are allowed to do. If I urgently need to
access something that doesn't show in Opera, I'll use
Firefox for this one occassion. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany