Date:      Fri, 30 May 2003 11:59:23 -0700
From:      Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot problem: "ata0: resetting devices"

At 10:52 AM -0700 5/30/03, Kent Stewart wrote:
>My definition of speed is a concept based on how long it takes for the
>prompt to return after I press the enter key.  A fast HD helps.  ...

The 300 MHz PII I've been running has been totally satisfactory, in terms
of speed, except that I have a Perl/Tk app that is quite demanding.  My
entire motivation for upgrading is to get this app to run faster.  The
current setup (PIO) is still faster than the old machine, but I suspect
strongly that getting DMA online would be a win...

-r
--
email: rdm@cfcl.com; phone: +1 650-873-7841
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm    - my home page, resume, etc.