Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 02:25:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        Chris Costello <chris@calldei.com>
Cc:        Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>, Robert Sexton <robert@kudra.com>, nsayer@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CFD: "bogomips" CPU performance metric

>    I disagree.  BogoMIPS is a completely meaningless measurement
> and does not belong in our source tree as it will only produce
> repository bloat.

I would agree..  BogoMIPS actually stands for "Bogus, Misleading
Indication of Processor Speed"...  In an old Linux Journal article I have
(will dig it up upon request), it describes how BogoMIPS is calculated --
it's VERY processor-dependant, and only really (sort of) useful for
comparing motherboards with the same processor on them.....  Switch from
an Intel 486/66 to an AMD 486/100, and the numbers do NOT match up to what
you'd think.... And if you change to a Pentium, forget it.

The biggest thing it's good for is as an ego-booster....  Of course, my
dual-PII/450 box has a bigger BogoMIPS rating than any machine at work..
:)

--mike