Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 1995 08:33:01 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        fadorno@ix.netcom.com (Fred Adorno)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com (user alias)
Subject:   Re: installation

> I have a 540mb drive which is not partitioned.  I am using the whole
> drive under DOS.  I do have 150mb disk space available.  How do I
> proceed with installation of FreeBSD 2.0.5?  I am new to Unix and I
> wish to use this to tutor myself asap.  Should I get the manual's from
> O'Reilly?

There is a disk partition shrinking program called fips(? - I believe).
It may bee in the tools directory on the CD or on ftp.freebsd.org.
You can run it under DOS. Sometimes it fails when you have
unmovable files at the end of the partition. You can attrib -r -h -s them.
Not that this method is unsupported and not the 'official' way to do it
but in many cases it works.

The safest would be to backup your DOS files and repartition (FDISK)
the disk. Afterwards use the normal FreeBSD install method to
partition the FreeBSD slice.

FreeBSD blues.physik.rwth-aachen.de 2.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 2.2-CURRENT #0:
Tue Jul 18 14:49:19 MET DST 1995     kuku@blues.physik.rwth-aachen.de:
/usr/src/sys/compile/BLUESGUS  i386