Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2017 12:30:22 -0700
From:      Rebecca Cran <rebecca@bluestop.org>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 11 not sending repeated TURs until good status returned?

I've been asked about a bug report at $work for a SAS drive, which is
failing to be detected when hot-plugged under FreeBSD 11 since I used to
be a FreeBSD developer. Not being being familiar with the *scsi* code
however, I thought people on this mailing list might have a better idea!

 From the report:

"[the affected drive] is more closely conforming to the T10 spec as a
Mode Sense command does not require media access."

"The proper thing for the system to do is send repeated TURs to the
drive until good status is returned. After that moment, the drive can
properly do I/O."

The log file contains:

   READ(10). CDB: 28 00 2e 93 90 af 00 00 01 00

   CAM status: SCSI Status Error

   SCSI status: Check Condition

   SCSI sense: NOT READY asc:4,1 (Logical unit is in process of becoming
ready)

   Progress: 0% (2/65536) complete

   Polling device for readiness

   mpssas_prepare_remove: Sending reset for target ID 123

da12 at mps0 bus 0 scbus0 target 123 lun 0

Does this sound like a valid bug?

--
Rebecca Cran
brucec@freebsd.org