Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 2000 12:17:12 +0200
From:      Willem Brown <willem@brwn.org>
To:        David May <David_May@allsolutions.com.au>
Cc:        Vikash Badal * <psivbl@psimr.persetel.co.za>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Q] PPP and Windows NT RAS?

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 04:52:58PM +0800, David May wrote:

> Further info:
>
> * DES libaries are installed on the FreeBSD machine
>   and PPP was compiled from source with DES support.
>
> * CHAP authentication is requested by remote peer
>   and acknowledged by my side.
>
> * The authname/authkey have been confirmed by the NT
>   administrator but I cannot check that myself.
>
> The part of the CHAP response (E=691 R=1) is returned
> the remote peer. A search on this found a Linux PPP FAQ
> at <URL: http://www.cab.u-szged.hu/LDP/FAQ/PPP-FAQ-12.html>;
>
> One interesting point in the FAQ is where it says that
> the user account name may need to be prefixed by an NT
> domain name .
>
> I.e. authname should be "domain\account" instead of just
> "account".

  I remember something like this as well. On The Linux box I
had, I had to escape the slash as well (\\).

  If the user account is a local account on the ras server
then you shouldn't specify the domain. It's for if the
authentication is done somewhere else.

> I cannot check this right now. Has anyone found this to
> be the case?

  Neither can I.

Regards
Willem Brown

--
 /*      Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD. The choice is yours.      */