Date:      Sat, 28 Mar 1998 17:53:53 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Rasputin <Savage_Bradl@sirus.commnet.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NTFS?

Rasputin wrote:

> Can I install FreeBSD into an NTFS partition or do I have to convert it to
> FAT.

	FreeBSD uses its own partition type. When you do the install it will
format the partition for you. It would help you to read all the .TXT
documents in ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.6-RELEASE.

> I am looking to start up a web-hosting business, but only have a
> dial-up connection for my current purposes (checking out OS's). Currently,
> I'm using NT4.0 and comparing it with some Unix clones (I don't know anyone
> who has a Genunie Unix I could test. Oh well).

	FreeBSD is "genuine unix" for all intents and purposes. The actual use
of the word "unix" in a product name is controlled by complicated (and
rather silly) liscensing arrangements and has nothing to do with the OS.
NT is actually a "real unix" according to the trademark.

	As far as the comparison goes, on the same hardware FreeBSD will give
you better performance by several orders of magnitude than NT. If you're
talking heavily loaded systems, Freebsd also outperforms linux by a wide
margin.

Good luck,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest