Date:      Wed, 30 Nov 2005 16:01:06 +0100 (GMT+01:00)
From:      Vittorio <vdemart1@tin.it>
To:        <freebsd-cluster@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   R: Re: rsh fails: [WAS] pvm connection problems

2.15 PM
<vdm.fbsd@virgilio.it>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
>Ogg: Re: rsh
fails: [WAS] pvm connection problems

08:30 am, Vittorio De Martino wrote:
>> Context: 2 pentium 4 boxes;
freebsd 5.4 & 6.0

>> I detected that remote login via "rsh" doesn't
work in my boxes:
>> e.g.
>> # rsh uffbsd
>> uffbsd.myd.prv: Connection
refused

>> even though I've defined the trusted hosts on each box
both in
>> $HOME/.rhosts and in /etc/hosts.equiv.
>> I've also
uncommented the shell lines in /etc/inetd.conf to no avail.

>> What
should I do to enable the (mistrusted) rsh connection?

>> Vittorio
>
>Do you have inetd enabled (inetd_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf) and is
it
>running?

Actually no, but...

>From the standpoint of my first
box, NbBSD (freebsd 6.0) I did the following steps

1) added
inetd_enable="YES" at the end of /etc/rc.conf
2) modified /etc/inetd.
conf uncommenting the line
shell   stream  tcp     nowait  root
/usr/libexec/rshd       rshd
(I don't know if it helps, anyway!)
3)
/etc/rc.d/inetd start
4) I've checked the presence of inetd via top. It
existed!!
5) Under user victor there's a .rhosts file containing:
uffbsd.myd.prv  victor

(user victor exists on the box uffbsd and
uffbsd.myd.prv is also present in the box NbBSD in /etc/hosts: I can
ping it!)

6) I reciprocate the same  configuring steps on the other
machine uffbsd.

Well in the end:
# rsh uffbsd
uffbsd.myd.prv: