Date:      Fri, 09 Jul 1999 22:51:10 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        is <is@isaka.net>
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with Sony

is wrote:

> On 7/10/99 1:25 AM, Maxim heard Crist J. Clark say:
>
> >The scd0 device is not for Sony IDE CDROMs. It is for the old Sony
> >CDU31/33 CDROMs that used a propretary interface (an ISA card).
> >
> >Your CDROM should be discovered during the probe of the second IDE
> >controller, wdc1. My guess is that your CDROM should work fine. The
> >only problem I can see off-hand is that people have reported problems
> >if a single device is jumpered to be the slave on the secondary
> >controller and there is no master.
>
> OK, this last I can figure out if need be. Are you saying that although I
> had a problem with the boot kernel, I shouldn't have a problem with the
> final install kernel seeing my CD?

When I typed "dmesg | more" I received for my Teac 32x CDROM, which is
the secondar master, the following information

wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 flags 0xa0ffa0ff on isa
wd3: 3020MB (6185088 sectors), 6136 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <CD-532E-B/1.0A>, removable, accel, ovlap, dma,
iordis
acd0: drive speed 5512KB/sec, 128KB cache
acd0: supported read types: CD-R, CD-RW, CD-DA, packet track
acd0: Audio: play, 256 volume levels
acd0: Mechanism: ejectable tray
acd0: Medium: CD-ROM 120mm data disc loaded, unlocked

If you do a df after you get a boot, you will see something like wcd0c
being the CDROM. I have my Walnut Creek FreeBSD 3.2 CDROM in the
drive.

When you selected the installation media, it seems like wcd0c or acd0
should have been the device you selected. It's too late on Friday
night
for the usual responses. Read the installation section of the FreeBSD
handbook at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html

Kent

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html