Date:      Sun, 3 Apr 2005 09:19:04 -0600
From:      Aaron Siegel <bulk_mail@siegel-tech.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound problem ...

=46aisal Gillani

I do not like the handbook instructions, read my whining bellow.  I would=20
recommend following these procedures for configuring your sound card. The=20
instruction in this email are very similar to the handbooks. Do not try to=
=20
figure out what driver you sound card using form the Hardware Notes go=20
directly to the /boot/loader.conf.
=20
1 If you have added the any sound devices to you kernel configuration remov=
e=20
remove them. Remove the lines=20
	device	sound
	device       snd_*
You may or my not have this in your kernel. If you have not added the sound=
=20
driver to your kernel the skip to the next step.

2 You can easily look all the available sound drivers in=20
the /boot/loader.conf. (the following list is from 5.3-STABLE, it may not=20
match the drivers on your system) :
sound_load=3D"YES"                 # Digital sound subsystem
snd_ad1816_load=3D"NO"            # ad1816
snd_als4000_load=3D"NO"           # als4000
snd_cmi_load=3D"NO"               # cmi
snd_cs4281_load=3D"NO"            # cs4281
snd_csa_load=3D"NO"               # csa
snd_ds1_load=3D"NO"               # ds1
snd_emu10k1_load=3D"NO"           # Creative Sound Blaster Live
snd_es137x_load=3D"NO"            # es137x
snd_ess_load=3D"NO"               # ess
snd_fm801_load=3D"NO"             # fm801
snd_ich_load=3D"NO"               # Intel ICH
snd_maestro_load=3D"NO"           # Maestro
snd_maestro3_load=3D"NO"          # Maestro3
snd_mss_load=3D"NO"               # Mss
snd_neomagic_load=3D"NO"          # Neomagic
snd_sb16_load=3D"NO"              # Sound Blaster 16
snd_sb8_load=3D"NO"               # Sound Blaster Pro
snd_sbc_load=3D"NO"               # Sbc
snd_solo_load=3D"NO"              # Solo
snd_t4dwave_load=3D"NO"           # t4dwave
snd_via8233_load=3D"NO"           # via8233
snd_via82c686_load=3D"NO"         # via82c686
snd_vibes_load=3D"NO"             # vibes
snd_driver_load=3D"NO"            # All sound drivers

2 If you now what driver supports your card you can test the driver by usin=
g=20
kldload=20
	# kldload snd_<drivername>
You can test to see if your sound card is support by FreeBSD and load all t=
he=20
sound drivers with ( I believe this will work, it has been months since I=20
have done this)
	#kldload snd_driver
This will test all the snd drivers. =09

3. You will now need to configure your /boot/loader.conf so that the driver=
=20
will load every time you reboot your computer.  Add the following lines to=
=20
your /boot/loader.conf

sound_load=3D"YES"
snd_<sounddriver>=3D"YES"

You can load all the sound driver with
snd_driver_load=3D"YES"=20

I hope this helps

Aaron Siegel

My whining attached bellow
=2D------------------------------------------------------------------------=
=2D--------
This is one section in the manual I do not like, I found if made configurin=
g=20
the sound card more complicated than it needs to be. To add to being=20
complicated it was hard to determine what driver are available.  The hardwa=
re=20
notes,=20
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/hardware-i386.html#AUDIO, is not=20
consistant.  It names the drive that support some cards but does give the=20
driver used by other cards. For example, it clearly shows the Advance Asoun=
d=20
100 and 110 uses a sbc driver but the hardware notes does not mention what=
=20
drive supports the VIA Technologies VT82C686A. There are no man pages =20
written for most of the sound drivers nor are their any references to the t=
o=20
them in the man pages. The only drives listed in the man pages snd_csa(4),=
=20
snd_gusc(4),  and snd_sbc(4).  Writing the man pages was no my todo list at=
=20
one time.