Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 00:18:10 +0200
From:      "Julian Stacey" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
To:        "Lawrence Cotnam Jr." <larry@pkunk.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, ernst@jhs.muc.de, norbert@jhs.muc.de, gary@jhs.muc.de
Subject:   Re: Trouble with 3Com 3C509 NIC

"Lawrence Cotnam Jr." wrote:
> Hi.  I'm using FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE.  I've been having a bit of a nightmare
> here with my FreeBSD server and its 3COM 3C509 network card.  It's a AUI/BNC
> variety, currently using AUI with a MAU transceiver to 10base-T.

My recent experience might not help here, but might help others in similar
situations, so here's what I discovered:

I had just 1 or 2K bytes/sec on an "rl" NIC using 4.0,
'ifconfig -a' reported the rl0 was in "autoselect" mode,
I guessed the NIC was maybe switching modes & losing traffic,
so I added "media 10baseT/UTP" to ifconfig_rl0 in /etc/rc.conf,
and now get normal performance on 10 Mb/s twisted ethernet.

BTW the slow performance of "autoselect" was seen on several (though I did
not try all 4 combinations) of
  { a 4 wire cable with no screen : a screened [maybe 8wire] } &
  { to a hub :	direct via crossover adapter to another FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE
		"ep" running on a pcmcia 3com 3c589c }.

Maybe your chipset supports media selection ? maybe as well as AUI/BNC
settings, you might also have a 3rd auto detect option selected ?
that's running slow ? if so try changing it explicitly to AUI
using the 3 com software, or try aprox  "ifconfig ep0 media 10base5/AUI"

Long shots, agreed, maybe worth the try though.  You might also ask your
friends if they know anyone with an ethernet analysis box.  Good Luck.

Julian
-
Julian Stacey	http://bim.bsn.com/~jhs/
 Kostenlos: FreeBSD 3200 packages, sources, Netscape, WordPerfect & StarWriter.
Anti Software Patent Petition to Euro Parliament: http://petition.eurolinux.org