Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:23:24 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Juergen Leising <a0037@stud.uni-bayreuth.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bash

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Juergen Leising wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 18, 1999 at 05:19:47PM +1000, Dean Hamstead wrote:
> > ive compiled bash and installed it
> > when i run bash after ive logged in it works like a dream
> >=20
> > but when i set it as by prompt in /etc/passwd is just seems to ignore t=
he
> > entry.... is there a file or something i have to register it as a valid
> > shell??
>
> [DELETED]
>=20
> But I must say, I would prefer a working /etc/passwd, because starting
> a shell is not the only purpose of using the last entry in /etc/passwd:
> You can use it in order to start different programs, daemons like pppd,
> for example, or a shell script writing to the screen "Your account
> has been removed...", which may in some cases be a better solution
> and a more secure way than just removing the whole entry. This works
> at least under irix, sunos and linux, but not under FreeBSD.

In FreeBSD the file /etc/passwd is just derived for compatibility from the
master password file /etc/master.passwd. Furthermore, there is
/etc/pwd.db, a binary version to allow faster access. /etc/passwd is
readable for everyone, but doesn't contain encrypted passwords to raise
system security.

If you want to modify the password file, just enter `vipw'. This will
invoke the editor of choice (set by environment variable EDITOR) or `vi'
to edit the master password file (no problem to change the login shell).
After leavong the editor, a syntax check is run, and the binary password
file as well as /etc/passwd are rebuilt.

Regards

//
// Konrad Heuer                                  ____            ___  _____=
__=20
// Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche           / __/______ ___ / _ )/ __=
/ _ \
//    Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen          / _// __/ -_) -_) _  |\ \/=
 // /
// Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen              /_/ /_/  \__/\__/____/___=
/____/=20
// Deutschland (Germany)                      ----- The Power to Serve ----=