Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 23:34:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        eivind@yes.no
Cc:        eivind@yes.no, sblee@eeyore.taz.tac.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bulding new versions

 * >  * I didn't quite get your m4-problem - it might be that you have a wrong
 * >  * version installed compared to what things depend on?  Dependencies for ports
 * >  * are on explict versions, which can often be annoying.
 * >
 * > It's only for packages though.
 *
 * Not quite true.  'make deinstall' will only match the exact version you've
 * got in your ports tree, for instance.  (I hope I'm not wrong here...)

That is correct, but what does that have to do with port dependencies? :)

 * > (By the way, If someone can make think of a way to make packages depend
 * > smarter, I want to hear it!)
 *
 * Check for versions.  Version should be split after last -, and then compared
 * group by group, numeric compare if numbers, value-compare if alphabetical.
 * This would require us to re-number ports that consider versions as
 * fractions.

That's not what I meant.  How do I describe the dependencies in the
Makefiles (hopefully without having to add anything to the current
*_DEPENDS), and how do we check things like shared libraries, etc.

Satoshi