Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 2009 22:29:28 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com>
Subject:   Re: confontation

--------------enig81DDAFD3C13C7DE8E063DD1B

Polytropon wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 13:07:00 -0800, prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> wrot=
e:
>> i need greek letters for math work.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> any suggestions?
>=20
> I'm not sure if this helps you, but I've seen a font on an
> ancient "Windows" 3.11 installation that included all greek
> letters (uppercase and lowercase), but without special
> punctuation (which is not needed for math purposes, I think).
> Was the font named "Symbol"? I can't remember, it's long time
> ago.
>=20
> But maybe you can check and find a TTF file that can be
> imported to X and / or the application you use?
>=20
> I think using "sprites" of the letters instead of a font is
> not a good idea...
>=20
>=20

x11-fonts/gentium for one has a good set of Greek characters within the
font.  Many other freely available TTF fonts do likewise.

I notice the OP is using inkscape -- I can't see an easy way of inputting=

Greek characters from the keyboard with that app, and there isn't a handy=

character chooser like there is in openoffice.

However Gentium does come with some handy proof sheets of all of the Gree=
and Roman glyphs provided by the font in:

   /usr/local/share/doc/gentium/Gentium-Greek-Specimen.pdf

You can cut'n'paste from there.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20