Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 13:38:06 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: Tiny starter configuration for FreeBSD

> X is certainly required for Netscape and based
> on the recent bitching on this list about it I
> think that quite a lot of FreeBSD users must
> be running it.

Netscape or X, you mean?

I tried Frontier Technologies' SuperX server on my Windows box.  It works well,
I guess, but I haven't found much use for it, as the only applications I've seen
to try with it are xterm, xeyes, and xclock (and xterm looks just like my
SecureCRT SSH session, only worse).  It certainly doesn't seem to be worth the
$250 or so that they want for the package.

I also tried MicroImages' very inexpensive X Server, but it faults as soon as I
try to open any kind of session in the X desktop, so that's out.

At the moment, I'm not sure that I see the value to having an X Server at all.
What are people running under X that makes it so much more useful than a plain
tty interface?

> yes, Sun has not only paid whatever fee that
> TOG is demanding, they have also met TOG's
> requirements for branding.  (last I checked one
> of the requirements was for licensed Java to be
> in the UNIX system, thus as you see TOG has
> requirements for UNIX branding that cannot be
> met by any open source UNIX)

I looked at their site, and it has that desperate, highly legalistic look of an
organization that is trying very hard to justify its existence (and fees).  The
UNIX (tm) 95 and UNIX (tm) 98 specifications, in particular, remind me strongly
of another large organization that likes to come out with new stuff every few
months in order to generate revenue.

It might a losing battle, though, as I tend to think of UNIX as a generic term,
and I doubt that I'm alone in this.  Does anyone remember when Aspirin was a
defensible registered trademark of Bayer, or Xerox a registered trademark of the
corporation of the same name?