Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 1997 21:47:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   sio silo overflows on a P75 @ 38400 baud?

I was just wondering - should it be possible, at 38400 baud,
in multi-user mode, but nothing else really going on; to get
silo overflows on a P75 with 16550 (clone?) UARTs?

I'm doing a SL/IP connection and sending the output of
dd'ing a tape back to the P75 system for un-tarring.  The
sending system is a P200 (running FreeBSD 2.2-970510.)

I'm getting these silo overflows with 2.2.5.

I'm hoping someone can whip out some figures on the
interrupt latency to suggest that a P75 should be able
to deal with receiving 38400...

This could, of course, be an artifact of some device
holding the bus too long.  The P75 machine is a laptop
with a IDE drive (to which I'm writting) and 8 meg of memory;
again, running 2.2.5-RELEASE.

	 - Thanks -
	- Dave Rivers -