Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 2002 04:54:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
To:        helmut_gruder@hotmail.com
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Doc update

>a CD and untarring the /usr/sys directory will not allow you to
Yeah its /usr/src/sys and that's in the book.

I'm also confused by this.  I just reread chapter 9 and the steps it
takes are just about the same as the ones I take when I install apm (I
install sources via the /stand/sysinstall option and I build with the
"traditional" option all according to the chapter).

Now the fact that this is what I have done for version after version
of FreeBSD, just about the same way always, may leave me oblivious to
some of the alternate ways to interpret this document.

What went wrong with yours?

Tangent:
Let me also say that it was something of a surprise to find out that
much of what I used to reconfigure the kernel for can be taken care of
by just fiddling with loader.conf (though I don't know if apm falls
into that), so I think I could criticize chapter 9 for not having a
section "do you really need to rebuild the kernel" to explain this.

-r