Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 08:48:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Q] How stable is FreeBSD 3.X ?

On Wed, 26 May 1999, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> We also do that, through cvsup. Of course, the process of installing
> said fixes involves a make world, which could as well be a black
> box. Can you tell the difference between that and applying a service
> pack?

I'm not familiar with service packs. However, I can certainly tell the
difference between doing a "make world" and installing a patch from
Sun. The patch doesn't change every system binary. This means it's a
lot faster to install, and you don't necessarily have to reboot the
system as part of the process.

I'd expect installing a service pack to be a lot more painfull than
installing a patch, much as installing an application on Windows 9x is
a lot more painfull than doing so on a Unix box (Does WNT require a
system reboot on every application install like Windows 9x?).

I realized recently that a lot of the problems people have with the
FreeBSD support structure and terminology is because, unlike
commercial software, FreeBSD does things from the developers
viewpoint. For commercial customers, the release is the first version
of a software branch available. Everything that follows that is
patches and improvements to that. For a developer, cutting the release
disk means you're done with that branch (after that, it belongs to
maintenance :-). Guess which one FreeBSD does?

Do any of the commercial FreeBSD support organizations run a seperate
branch and bundle patches up for their customers?

	<mike