Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2002 01:10:08 -0500
From:      "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        <lnharmon@cox.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Regarding your Company Partnership with ProHosters.com

Dear Mr<s> Harmon: ---

I too would rather not see a video of a terrorist
murder on any website, but you have clearly
misunderstood the nature of this so-called 'partnership.'

FreeBSD is available, free of charge, to anyone,
anywhere, for the purpose of utilizing computer
hardware for an extremely large variety of purposes,
including 'web servers' which display web pages,
or 'sites.'  It actually is *very* good for this purpose.

If the company you refer to lists FreeBSD as
a 'partner,' it is only because they have obtained
FreeBSD software from the Internet to use on
THEIR machines, which are under THEIR control,
and feature content that THEY decided to 'serve'
from their location.  FreeBSD has no monetary
or other 'interest' in ProHosters, or *anyone else*
and AFAIK, no statement has ever been made
by FBSD to this effect.

There is no "company" for ProHosters to "partner"
with, as FreeBSD is a user-run *society* or loose
aggregation of human beings with a common interest.
Since we are a user-run society, there are no funds
available for FreeBSD to hire legal counsel to do
or require any action to or from the  _company_
you have named.  (You did notice that you sent mail
to FreeBSD.*org* ?)  Furthermore, there is no
'top' management of FreeBSD, with the exception
of 5 elected officers who sit on a "core team" that
is concerned with development of computer code
and related issues.  If you think that 5 more emails
to ProHosters will be of any benefit, I suggest you
ask them to complain.  I imagine that whatever
organization made you aware of this issue can
boast many more 'point & clickers' than that.

So, the onus is upon you as complaintant. I would
assume that you have logged a *serious* complaint with
ProHosters, as they are solely responsible for the content
they place on the Internet, regardless of whether they use
FreeBSD, Linux, BeOS, OS2/Warp, IRIX, AT&T Unix,
Sun Solaris, HP-AIX or even Micro$oft Windoze to do it.

Please accept my apology if this seems harsh;
I have attempted to state the facts as they exist.
Giving a stick of firewood to my neighbor does
not make me responsible for abuse if he beats
his wife with it --- I use it to heat the house.

Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P.