Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 1999 07:34:00 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <jeremyp@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, wolman@cs.washington.edu
Subject:   Re: gnu tar upgrade?

Alec Wolman <wolman@cs.washington.edu> wrote:
>The version of tar that comes with freebsd (v1.11.2 with local
>freebsd modifications) has a bug: if you attempt to copy large
>files (> 2GB) it will silently truncate the large file.
>There is a new version of gnu tar (v1.13) that has support for
>large files.

>  FreeBSD has added the following behavior over
>the years:
>  the --unlink option:
>  the --norecurse option:
>  the --bzip and --unbzip options:
>  the --fast-read option:

A check through the CVS logs reveals lots of other changes and
enhancements such as:
- the builtin regex() code has been replaced with -lgnuregex
- 21-bit minor numbers (same as v1.13)
- Support for hard-links to files with long names
- FreeBSD-specific knowledge of potential names/locations of rsh(1)
- support 8-bit filenames
- assorted minor bugfixes and compiler-quietenings

If we do import GNU tar 1.13 (which I think is probably a good idea),
we need to make sure all the `invisible' fixes go in (if they're not
there already), as well as the additional options.

Peter