Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2000 22:30:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Caleb Land <bokonon@rochester.rr.com>
To:        s1m0n@mail.saintmail.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: questions from a beginner

Hello,

> hi, i'd like to know when will freebsd support the intel 810 chipset?
> also i wonder why version 4.0 was released before version 3.5 as
> stated in the announcement page? thank you

From what I gather, 4.0 was vastly different from 3.x.  Because of this
upgrading from 3.x to 4.x isn't as easy as upgrading from a 3.x to another
3.x or a 4.x to another 4.x, so they released another 3.x to keep the 3.x
people who didn't want to take the plunge up-to-date.  Plus 4.x is
supposed to be more unstable 3.x, but I have been using 4.0, and recently
upgraded to 4.1 via CVS and have had no FreeBSD related problems (none
which weren't actually problems between the keyboard and the chair :))  So
fear not in using 4.x.

Sincerely,
Caleb Land
(bokonon@rochester.rr.com)