Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2007 16:47:14 +0100
From:      =?UTF-8?B?UmFmYcOrbCBDYXJyw6k=?= <funman@videolan.org>
To:        William Bulley <web@umich.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Seeking DVD to Real Media conversion solution...

--Sig_/xCpHMvkeJVFGWL1jhYyWYWX

Le Wed, 7 Nov 2007 09:56:05 -0500,
William Bulley <web@umich.edu> a =C3=A9crit :

> According to ruin evil <ruinevil@gmail.com>:
> >
> > Real Producer Natively supports Uncompressed AVI, uncompressed MOV,
> > uncompressed WAV, which will be your only choices on Linux/FreeBSD.
> > On Windows and Mac, it can also support whatever DirectShow and
> > Quicktime can play, respectively. I have also read that Real
> > Producer BASIC has a 2GB input file limit.
> >=20
> > It supports inputs in these colors. =09
> > - 	YUY2, YV12, YVU9, YVYU, CYUV, IYUV, UYNV, UYVY, V422, YUNV
> >=20
> > In further reading, ffmpeg maybe able to output to rm.
> >=20
> > >From file format list.
> >=20
> > DE rm              rm format
>=20
> Thanks.  My 20 minute DVD results in a 1.1 GB *.VOB file so I trust
> that this may not be a concern here.

Your 1.1GB VOB is compressed with MPEG-2 , so not suitable for Real
Producer if it needs Uncompressed AVI.

> Are you suggesting that "colors" =3D=3D=3D "codecs"?   I saw the above
> list of "colors" in the documentation, but I did not equate that
> with the FOURCC codec names that I have been trying.  Should I
> use one of those *Y* "colors" as the video codec in this case?

When using uncompressed AVI (several Mega Bytes per second) you need to
specify a color space (i.e. how the raw data is "coded" (=3Drepresented)
Basically the rate per second is:

frame_rate * height * width * bits_used_to_represent_the_color/8

Let's say 25 * 640 * 480 * 16bits/8 =3D 15360000 =3D ~14 Mega bytes per s

This is very different from video codecs which are designed to
dramatically reduce that high bitrate.

If you have to provide Real Producer a uncompressed video file < 2GB,
you will be able to encode maybe 2 or 3 minutes, so you should forget
about using that crappy software :)

read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YUV for some infos on color spaces,
which are way to reduce (a little) this high bitrate, by compressing
only the color representation.

> And, yes, I saw the "rm format" item in the "File formats" output of:
>=20
>   % ffmpeg -formats
>=20
> When I tried using it, I got similar failure results as those I
> indicated yesterday.  In particular, the audio codec was "faad"
> and the demuxer was "real", but there was NO video codec (or video
> content) in the resulting *.RM file.  Please understand that I am
> confused, and being a bit new to the world of multimedia, somewhat
> clueless.  :-)

I don't know anything about rm and real codecs, but I would suppose
that it can only contain real=C2=A9 codecs, you should try to put rv10 or
rv20 "video codec" into rm "container" or "muxer".

The file extension represent how the internal data is combined (i.e.
how to combine audio and video (and text, and metadata etc etc..).
Like .AVI =3D avi
.MOV =3D mov
.MKV =3D matroska
.OGM/.OGG =3D ogg (ogm correspond to ogg movie and ogg to ogg audio but
that's exactly the same thing)
.RM =3D ream media
.MPG =3D mpeg
.MP4 =3D mpeg-4
.VOB =3D mpeg-2
etc etc...

Now inside those you have to put some info (say, video) in the format
you want (well, one of those which are supported by this container):

RAW (but there is several way to represent raw data)
compressed with a video codec (h264, wmv, mpeg2, etc etc...)

And the container will have a reserved space to indicate which codec
was used to store the data.

Now, if Real Producer doesn't come with a documentation telling what it
does accept you're fucked and you'd better wipe out this piece of shit
and use ffmpeg.

Now if you need a recent real codec like RV40, you're out of luck
because the only open source implementation is the decoder, and it
hasn't even been checked in ffmpeg yet.

Seriously you should consider something else than Real and evaluate
your other possibilities.