Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 10:30:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bruce Burden <brucegb@realtime.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (Freebsd Questions)
Subject:   Re: tun - interface ,4.0 stable

> I'm just another idiotic guy who can't get a tun interface .
>
> The Line :    	pseudo-device   tun

	I have a number following "tun":

#  The `tun' pseudo-device implements the User Process PPP (iijppp)
pseudo-device   tun     1               #Tunnel driver (user process ppp(8))

> I also did a          ./MAKEDEV tun0 in /dev

	I only did a:

MAKEDEV all
MAKEDEV snd0
MAKEDEV da0s1a

    and I have:

bash-2.04# ls -l /dev/tun*
crw-------  1 uucp  dialer   52,   0 May 17 22:31 /dev/tun0
crw-------  1 uucp  dialer   52,   1 May 17 22:31 /dev/tun1
crw-------  1 uucp  dialer   52,   2 May 17 22:31 /dev/tun2
crw-------  1 uucp  dialer   52,   3 May 17 22:31 /dev/tun3

   And note that May 17 is the date on all of my devices in /dev.

	What is the date of your 4.0 installation, and if you installed
  from cvsup, did you copy the MAKEDEV from /usr/src/etc to /dev?

							Bruce