Date:      Sun, 20 May 2007 11:23:00 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        Edward Ruggeri <ruggeri@uchicago.edu>, free-bsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Random Restarts?

Roland Smith wrote:
> On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 11:03:25AM -0500, Edward Ruggeri wrote:
>>  Hi,
>>
>>  My system randomly reboots, usually in the evening.  It is definitely not a
>>  soft reboot, since the filesystems don't get properly dismounted.  My
>>  suspicion is that it is a heat related issue -- I do leave the computer
>>  running just about all day long, and it has started to get warm.  Then
>>  again, it's coolest in the evening...
>
> Try and install the mbmon port, and see if it works on your machine. If
> so, start a cron job that appends mbmon output to a file say every 15
> minutes. If it's a heat buildup issue in a monitored component, it would show.
>
> I wonder though. My machine usually doesn't need a day to heat up after
> a cold start. An hour or so usually suffices.
>
> Other causes could be a spike in the line voltage due to a large device
> switching on or off nearby. Or an underrated power supply overloaded
> through a cron job.
>

> Roland

Also, check to see if your memory doesn't have any errors. That can
cause reboots from time to time if either the memory controller is bad,
or the memory itself is bad.

Also, this heat issue could be true for your hard drives. I've seen some
of my faster drives get up to 140 degrees F (before I bought fans for
them), then force the workstation to hard reboot. This was when I was
doing a lot of disk access with them, too, since normal idling didn't
head up the drives enough.

Just curious:
a. What's your Processor (speed, vendor)?
b. Who made your motherboard?
c. Who made your RAM?

Thanks,
-Garrett