Date:      11 Nov 2002 16:36:58 +0100
From:      Marc Recht <marc@informatik.uni-bremen.de>
To:        Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: addition to cdefs

--=-E9ZvF9pzsZKM5AqqUV2N

Thanks!

> It looks like <unistd.h> has some XSI bugs.  Is _XOPEN_SOURCE defined
> anywhere?  If so, try the attached patch.  If not, this is a bug in
Yes, _XOPEN_SOURCE is defined. So, it solves some of the problems.

> Python (since POSIX doesn't specify chroot()) and should be fixed at
> their end and in the ports collection.
But, there still some problems left. Like fd_set being not defined in
sys/select if _BSD_VISIBLE isn't given.
=20
> _BSD_SOURCE provides mostly the same visibility as not defining any
> standards constants, so it isn't very useful.
IMO it would be nice to have a clean way to toggle __BSD_VISIBLE from
the outside. In the default environment I have
#define  __POSIX_VISIBLE      200112
#define  __XSI_VISIBLE     600
#define  __BSD_VISIBLE     1
#define  __ISO_C_VISIBLE      1999

But, Python for example, wants _POSIX_C_SOURCE 199506,_XOPEN_SOURCE 500
_and_ __BSD_VISIBLE 1. I know, I could also just do a -D__BSD_VISIBLE=3D1,
but I think thats not The Right Thing to do.

Regards,
Marc=20
--=20
"Premature optimization is the root of all evil." -- Donald E. Knuth

--=-E9ZvF9pzsZKM5AqqUV2N

--=-E9ZvF9pzsZKM5AqqUV2N--