Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 10:40:30 +0100
From:      Adam Nealis <adamn@criterion.canon.co.uk>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: CVSUP Question..

Loren Daniel Koss wrote:

> okay, thats a really scary thing to say.  What do I do to make sure I
> don't screw anything up.  I did a "make buildworld" overnight and it
> completed.  I want to start a "make installworld" but now I will wait.
>
> Explain in detail please as I am a newbie.
Jahan had a point (I fell foul of this when going from 2.2.5
to -STABLE a few months ago).

/etc/fstab in pre-2.2.6 FreeBSD, had the root partition in
this style:

/dev/wd0a	root	ufs	rw	1	1

The current way to do this is

/dev/wd0s1a	root	ufs	rw	1	1

I found this in the ERRATA on the 2.2.6 CD-ROM (i.e. for
once, I worked it out for myself, without bugging the list
;).

If you cvsup to post-2.2.6, /etc/fstab isn't updated, so
when you reboot the kernel can't see the root partition. I
fixed this by starting an emergency shell, mounting the root
partition by hand, and hacking /mnt/root/etc/fstab to
comply.

You can avoid this by hacking /etc/fstab before you reboot
after a make installworld.

Does that allay your fears?

Cheers,
Adam.