Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2012 13:18:02 +0300
From:      Beeblebrox <zaphod@berentweb.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   (no subject)

I have some problems implementing lagg(4) on dual NIC's on the diskless
client side. It may be because my switch is a cheap, un-managed Gbit switch
or hopefully some other reason. I would like to either get lagg working
properly or find an alternative method of solving the problem.

HARDWARE DESCRIPTION: I have mobo's with embedded 10/100 NIC's used
as diskless cleints. For better performance I have added PCIe Gbit NIC's
and Gbit switch. Since PXE cannot boot off an added PCIe NIC, I'm stuck
with booting from embedded 10/100, then having to switch the traffic to the
GBit NIC. In order to preserve port space on the GBit switch, I also have
an old 10/100 hub plugged into one of the ports. Structure is:
10/100 NIC's --> 10/100 hub --> GBit switch --> server
GBit NIC's --> GBit switch
I concede that under this structure lagg's loadbalance or LACP are probably
not going to work. I'll accept failover mode if I'm stuck with that -
meaning, after the diskless client is done booting from the BIOS-recognized
10/100 NIC, it should switch traffic to the Gbit NIC and 10/100 should go
"down". Unfortunately that does not work either. I have done as much
testing as I can think of with:

In general, as soon as lagg is brought up, NIC pool no longer responds to
pings and gives an "I'm busy now" message.
1. On the server system, after lagg0 gets created as loadbalance, server
stops responding to pings. However, tcpdump on server shows that ping
requests are being received - it just does not respond. (No firewall
running). Does this mean/indicate that my switch cannot handle lagg?
2. On a diskless node, lagg setup as failover behaves as other modes and
results in system freeze (no ping response also). In below example, re1 is
the Gbit-NIC and is set as primary NIC.
> > ifconfig_lagg0="laggproto failover laggport re1 laggport re0
192.168.2.2 netmask 255.255.255.0"
Curiously, under this setup tcpdump shows nfs response during frozen
status. The second code snippet shows up when I un-plug the ethernet cable
on re1 and lagg0 needs to fall back on re0. Server IP is 192.168.2.1, node
is 2.2.
> > 12:49:12.237477 IP 192.168.2.1.nfs > node2.76575838: reply ok 112
> > 12:59:54.323462 IP 192.168.2.1.nfsd > node2.740: Flags [R.], seq
4209474782, ack 2247908211, win 29127, options [nop,nop,TS val 2033479589 ecr
11647], length 0

Regards.