Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 2002 19:07:42 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/41710: [port]  lame update (fix CFLAGS)

Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net> wrote:

> >  *I* want to decide if I build with "-pipe" or without.  And if I
>
> I know only one bugreport with "-pipe", Irix doesn't seem to like it.

To its credit, the script checks whether the compiler is gcc before
adding this.

> Besides this, every OS seems to accept it. Normaly it speeds up the
> build.

I know somebody who will tell you not to bother with "-pipe" and
instead to use a memory-backed /tmp.  Hey, maybe we could benchmark
the effect of either by building the lame port... Oh, I guess we
can't.

> So why do we need to patch it (nitpicking on "-pipe" seems to be
> a bikeshed argument for me)?

I don't nitpick on "-pipe", you do.

> >  want to, then what's the point of "-pipe -pipe"?  "-Wall" doesn't
> >  add anything outside development.
>
> It isn't harmfull. We do we need to add a patch for it?

It obscures the important warnings.  Why does the configure script
have to go out of its way to *add* it?  Who will fix the warnings
if I dump the output of the build on him?

> >  Basically these happened to be nearby, so I removed them along with
> >  the other cruft that killed the compile on -CURRENT/alpha.
>
> Can you be more specific please?

The lame configure script used to add various optimization flags
to CFLAGS, in particular -O3, which produces garish warnings on
alpha

cc1: warning:
   ***
   ***  The -O3 flag TRIGGERS KNOWN OPTIMIZER BUGS ON THIS PLATFORM
   ***

and -ffast-math, which is broken on -CURRENT/alpha (probably a bug,
but that's beside the point).  The patch in question is a *minimal*
patch to keep the configure script from forcing these flags on us.
And while I was there, I also removed the superfluous addition of
"-Wall -pipe" three lines above.  This isn't even a separate hunk
in the patch file.

There are probably thousands of ports in the tree that don't respect
CFLAGS.  Haggling over each flag isn't going to help clean this
mess up.