Date:      Mon, 6 Apr 1998 07:43:58 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Eric "Two Cats" Jones <ejon@colltech.com>
To:        obanta@unixgeeks.net (Oliver Banta)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Current with XFree86 3.3.2

Oliver,
	I had what I think is the same problem (although I was
building directly from the XF86 source base, not the port: the port
may avoid this problem).  My problem was that the XF86 server
code implements their own malloc, for which they need the hardware
pagesize.  The code checks whether to use sysconf(5) for this
info by doing #ifdef _SC_PAGESIZE, which until about 3/28
was false.  After 3/28, this value is defined, however the
backend code would cause sysconf(_SC_PAGESIZE) to return -1,
which XF86 didn't bother to check.  It would later use this
pagesize to calculate what size chunk to allocate off the heap,
with disasterous consequences.  There's a way to force the
code to use the getpagesize(3) call, but I can't remember
off the top of my head and I've deleted my distribution.  Check
xc/programs/Xserver/os/xalloc.c and look for _SC_PAGESIZE...
you should be able to figure it out from there.
	I suspect your log messages are coincidental.

Eric Jones
Collective Technology

Strange sunspot activity caused Oliver Banta to write:
> I recently installed 3.0-980311-SNAP on a Dual PPro 180.  X was
> working fine until I did two things: 1) rebuilt world to -current as
> of April 3 and 2) rebuilt XFree86 3.3.2 from /usr/ports/x11/XFree86/.
> Now whenever I try to start any X server, it core dumps on me.

[...]