Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 09:26:25 -0500
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        erich@lodgenet.com (Eric L. Hernes), ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Interest in a linux_crossdev port?

Michael Smith writes:
>Eric L. Hernes stands accused of saying:
>> That's pretty easy to fix, the linux_lib has been due for
>> a little upgrade for way too long.  Last time I looked into
>> it, my machine had way too much experimental crap to test it :(
>> I think I'm in a position now to do it a little better justice.
>
>Well, now there's a suggestion.  How about I send you my 'unpack the
>slackware dev stuff' script and some notes on the process?  I'm not
>trying to cop out here, but it would let you consolidate the two.

Thinking on it a bit more I'd like to see two ports: linux_lib
and linux_devel.

The linux_lib port is a pre-requisite for linux_devel. linux_lib
contains all the libraries *.so*, *.a, ld.so, etc, etc, It's not
unreasonable to stick bin/bash here either.  linux_lib will
package up so that people who install packages only, will be
able to get linux binaries to work relatively painlessly.
You could talk me out of sticking the .a's here, as they're
only really needed for the _devel port, but if the goal is to
split up the 45 meg file a bit more, they can just as well be here.

The linux_devel port includes only the header files, and compiler/linker/...
stuff and maybe a few misc other binaries (gmake?).  linux_devel will
have NO_PACKAGE set because if you're cross-developing stuff, you've
already graduated from `casual user' to `hacker' ;-)

This should coordinate the two, update linux_lib to something reasonable,
and maybe help to fix the 2M/45M split to, say 7M/40M ;-)

Yesterday I spent a few minutes playing with this. I fetched
everything from red-hat that resembeled a library.  I extracted
them and tried to run `ldconfig', which creates a wierd directory
(named `0\330\277\357') and/or coredumps. I suspect ldconfig needs
to be branded.  So I've built a newer world with branding support, but
have yet to reboot.  Hopefully branding ldconfig helps.  Then I'll
see what else will or won't run.

>--
>]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@gsoft.com.au.au          [[
>]] Genesis Software                     genesis@gsoft.com.au            [[
>]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile)     0411-222-496   [[
>]] realtime instrument control.         (ph)          +61-8-8267-3493   [[
>]] Unix hardware collector.             "Where are your PEZ?" The Tick  [[

eric.
erich@lodgenet.com
http://rrnet.com/~erich erich@rrnet.com