Date:      Sat, 2 Sep 2006 13:35:51 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@sage.thought.org>
Subject:   System down, won't come up (was: Oh, no....)

--8/UBlNHSEJa6utmr

On Friday,  1 September 2006 at 20:30:24 -0700, Gary Kline wrote:

> 	Well, gang, for about the only time in ten or eleven years, my
> 	FreeBSD has kernel crashed.   The kernel err is 18 I believe a
> 	int divide by zero.  I backup most stuff regularly but still have
> 	several megs of data files.   Can I fix this with a fixit disk?
> 	Or is all hope lost?
>
> 	gary
>
> 	"Fatal trap 18: blah, blah....
>
> 	"Uptime 1sec"

It sounds like you forgot to say "it crashed and won't come up again".

There are dozens of reasons why this could happen.  What about booting
the backup kernel?  If that doesn't work either, you could have
hardware problems, or you could have corrupted system binaries.  In
the latter case, the fixit disk might help, but I'd certainly try the
backup kernel before the fixit disk: it's much easier.

Greg

--8/UBlNHSEJa6utmr

--8/UBlNHSEJa6utmr--