Date:      Sat, 12 Sep 1998 12:22:15 -0400
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Remi BONDOIN" <rbondoin@club-internet.fr>
Subject:   Re: Need help about FREEBSD installation

On Sat, 12 Sep 1998 10:59:15 +0200, Remi BONDOIN wrote:

>Everything is ok until to initialize the ppp connection to the
>provider.
>
>I don't really know ppp except for simple configuration.
>
>Can you tell me what are the ppp commands do i  type to establish
>a connection?

During that phase of the install, you are directed to go to another
virtual terminal (ttyv3, I think) and establish the ppp session.  When
you go over there you are already in ppp and all you need to do is type
an "AT" command to dial the modem.  After the ISPs modem answers your
call, you'll have to manually login to their system.  So you need to
know your user ID and password.

For anyone not familiar with "AT" commands, they are a command set
originally developed by Hayes, the MODEM manufacturer.

The command you'll use, would be something like:

ATDT 555-1212

but replace 555-1212 with the phone number to your ISP.  If you are
dialing from a phone system at work and need to dial an access code to
get an outside line, such as an 8 or 9, you'd use:

ATDT 9,555-1212

The comma (,) will pause for about three seconds to allow time for the
second dial tone to occur.  Some modems actually detect dial tones, and
many older modems can't, the just dial "blindly".  Which is why it's
good to have a speaker on your modem.  Learn how good connections sound
and you'll know when you're hearing a bad one.

hope this helps...