Date:      Wed, 01 Dec 2010 00:26:28 -0500
From:      jhell <jhell@DataIX.net>
To:        David Southwell <david@vizion2000.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports - installation & upgrade history

On 11/30/2010 13:24, David Southwell wrote:

> Hi
>
> I was idly wondering how easy/difficult it might be to maintain and access an
> historical record of port installations and upgrades on a particular system.
>
> Something fairly comprehensive that would enable one to see when a port was
> first installed, its original version number, when it was
> upgraded/deinstalled/reinstalled and subsequent changes to the installed
> version. Maybe also time/date when a port tree was updated and which ports
> were affected by those updates.
>
> I dont suppose there a convenient way of obtaining this information by
> default? If not is there a port which would do it?
>
> Thoughts

You might find the following handy. This is certainly not perfect and
just a ``my use case scenario'' but I use a hg(1) or Mercurial
repository in the package directory to keep track of these things along
with a script[1] to update the repository after upgrades and installs
that also sends an email once complete.

And of course the repository itself has to be modified a little by
adding necessary files I have provided at URL[1] and allows you to use
pkg_info(1) on the .hg directory for information.

Sample email output by default mailed to root@localhost provided in
signature. And of course the output of hg(1) run manually in the package
directory can also provide you with more verbose output as well as diffs
of changes to the files.

I originally did this using svn(1) but converted it to using hg(1)
because Mercurial only uses one directory in the package root rather
than several in each package directory. This could also be converted to
using git(1) as well but have not had a need for it as of yet and as I
am more attracted to the use of Mercurial over git.

[1]
http://code.google.com/p/jhell/source/browse/base#base/projects/pkg_commit

Regards,

- --

changeset:   327:aef99c54e36c
tag:         8.2-PRERELEASE
user:        J. Hellenthal <jhell@DataIX.net>
date:        Mon Nov 22 10:56:04 2010 -0500

Addendum:
py26-zfs-1_1

Deprecated:
py26-zfs-1