Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 2003 14:33:29 +1100
From:      paul van den bergen <pvandenbergen@swin.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie: The C / C++ Issue

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 02:24 pm, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> On 11/12/03 09:36 PM, Lucas Holt sat at the `puter and typed:
> > On Nov 12, 2003, at 8:37 PM, Marty Leisner wrote:
> > > BTW -- I've been doing "object oriented" stuff in C for years --
> > > its harder, but its doable.  You have a much simpler language to
> > > deal with.
> > > marty
> >
> > Am I missing something here?  When does C have OO capability?
> > Structs don't count.  What about inheritance and polymorphism?
>
> That's in the implementation AND application.  Just because you CAN
> access part of a lowly struct, doesn't mean you have to.  It's object
> oriented if you OBSERVE the restricted accesses defined by OO.
> Whether or not they're there is completely irrelevant.  Of course C
> has OO capability, it just doesn't have its restrictions :)

don't confuse the language with the philosophy...

programming styles - OO, procedural, functional, whatever, are methods or even
rulesets.  some languages suit one or the other better or worse.  One could
write functionally in C++ if one had to... but *ouch*  ditto C wrt OO.  the
thing is that modular C programming is scalable in ways similar to OO.
that's sort of part way to OO.  the rest of it - inheretance, etc. when
automated in C++ v's C make C++ more suitable to OO programming.

IMHO, ofcourse.

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures