Date:      Wed, 04 Nov 1998 01:53:56 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        beef@cybertouch.org, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: enough about linux and microshit

At 01:46 AM 11/4/98 -0500, beef@cybertouch.org wrote:
>	What with all of you? You have nothing better to do than care
>about what other os's are doing? For fucks sakes, I went out and
>showed people what my FreeBSD (now under the name Freedom
>Software) can do. They shit them selves. Go see what people want
>in business and stop the crap about what linux is doing (like
>banning on #linux on efnet if you ask a question considered lame).
>If you think microshit is better the rm -Rf * your system.
>
>	I want to tell you all that about 3 year ago, when I was only
>learning about computers seriously, and had my family invest, with
>microFUCK, we lost everything. But at the end when I found out
>about FreeBSD, Jordan Hubbard tried to help us out. Go see if
>gates ( that puke) or linus torvalds will help you out. Oh I must
>mention Greg Lehey, our, yes OUR great writer, has helped me to
>the point that I can build a file server.
>
>	In fact this week I have sales people coming from a cable
>company that sells cable modem for internet, to see a FreeBSD
>operating system. The thing is that I could  not give a shit what
>others have. I look at what the PEOPLE want. And they want a
>solution to being ripped off. That does not mean to give it out for
>free. It means being fair but in the same token, making a living.
>
>	In the industry which i know well, the major players have
>shared information on kill standards, processing and safety for
>years. They all profit well. But not on a percentage basis.
>
>	Look at the NAME itself FREEbsd.  People like something for
>nothing. Thats life. But in the fine scheme of things, FreeBSD wont
>be free forever. Why? Because the base operating system may be
>30 or 50 dollars, the ppl that have to set it up for companies and
>business's will profit well. And why not? They had to learn an awful
>lot.
>	But this bullshit about what companies are looking at linux or
>oss, is a bunch of bs. Just get off your ass, go to smaller offices
>and demonstrate what FreeBSD with some of the ports for a
>business can do for them. Don't worry, they will, on their own,  see
>the light through the forest. Unless you want to tell them what the
>micorshit or linux camps are doing. If you all would fight a war in
>the same way you keep yakking about these no-go-anywhere white
>papers, companies making business materials for linux. You loose.
>When I was in Israel, we gave not a flying fuck what the states said
>or did. We did it OUR way. I feel for Jordan and Greg Lehey, who
>have to constantly reply to bullshit about microshit and luunix. If
>you all really cared for and appreciated what golden opportunity we
>have here, there would be more discussion on how to help the
>owners of FreeBSD grow. Stop comparing. Do you think when we
>attack in war we compare like your american television protrays?
>Heh, if you really think that you are better suited for winshit 98.
>Just go to warez site and pick up a FreeWinDoZe98.

> [...]

Except for your creative use of profanity, I must say, I'm inspired.

We use our FreeBSD machine here for a ton of stuff, including my web
servers and my DNS servers.

People that have asked me to do work for them hold FreeBSD boxes that are
running as PPP-Ethernet routers and Quake servers for BBSes.  I must say,
that's pretty damn good.

Most of the perl scripts and other things like that are all built around
the tools inside FreeBSD as well.  I don't plan to change that, and if
suddenly FreeBSD falls off the earth for some reason, I'm probably just
going to say 'the hell with it' and find my dream career as a prostitute..

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange 207-942-0275
http://www.droo.orland.me.us
My Latest Kernel: FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT (ONEEX) #14: Mon Oct 19 22:36:58 EDT 1998