Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 12:13:11 -0400
From:      Dutch Collins <dutch@charm.net>
To:        James Gill <gill@topsecret.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: question(0)

James Gill wrote:

> Often in conversations people will refer to system programs and stuff with a
> number in parentheses afterwords.  What is the significance of the numbers?
> What is their significance when there is no number within?  Calling a
> manpage for a different (number) brings up a different manual page i think.
>
> for example a subject line from -security from last week:
>         Re: OpenBSD's strlcpy(3) and strlcat(3)
>
> =====================================
> James Gill * http://www.topsecret.net
> =====================================

I usually do not quote stuff from The Books, but;

"References to Manual pages are given as 'name(section)' thus sh(1)
 refers to the shell manual entry in section 1.", historical.

User commands where grouped together in section one so, (1) after a
command tells you it is a User (shell) Command. Some commands are
also subroutines for C, therefore, (3), or a system call (2). If a
function, as in doing something, not f(x) kind of thing, is used in
say, Command (1), System Call (2), and maybe others the name will be
slightly different. Don't want to confuse anyone - that means the
OS not the user.

try this:

try http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/basics.html

-d