Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:44:07 -0500
From:      "Andy Greenwood" <greenwood.andy@gmail.com>
To:        "Kris Kennaway" <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Joseph Vella <satyam@sklinks.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why are so many people using 4.x?

On 3/29/06, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 02:17:31PM +0200, Vaaf wrote:
> > At 22:34 28.03.2006, Joseph Vella wrote:
> > >I notice a lot of references to version 4.x.  Is there any
> > >overwhelming reason
> > >why its use seems to be still popular.  I'm wanting to set up a server
> > >(just
> > >for play) on my home network using a PII machine.  Am I better off
> using an
> > >older version for such old equipment?  If so, do any particular
> versions
> > >stand out?
> >
> > FreeBSD, and UNIX for that matter, is based off 30-year-old concepts.
> > Noboy can deny this.

I don't, and I don't think anyone would deny that statement. However, that
doesn't necessarily mean that those concepts are not solid ground on which
to build an OS. Hammurabi wrote the first set of laws for a civilized
nation, and those laws have been under refinement for the past ~2200 years.
Granted there are some problems with current laws, but just like in (most
first-world) countries where the public has a say in how they are governed,
so does the open source community have a say in the development of thier
projects.

That being said, you can compare the development
> > of FreeBSD to building a skyscraper on shallow grounds. Naturally, the
> more
> > you build the more building is likely to collapse.

Please explain how building an OS on solid techniquies and with a mind
towards usability, stability, and scalability constitutes building on
shallow grounds. Furthermore, please explain what shallow ground actually
means. I was under the impression that all grounds are pretty deep, going
through the core of the Earth and all....

This is now the case with